Tuesday, 3 November 2015

Autumnal Repeating Pattern

I was inspired, while walking over carpets of fallen autumn leaves on my way home from school, to create a repeating pattern of autumn leaves. They looked beautiful, until they started to rot and made yucky, squelchy noises under my feet the day after.

I had also recently stumbled on this blog post on Pinterest on how to go about making a repeatable pattern tile.

To simplify the process, this is pretty much how you do it.
1. Start drawing your pattern in the middle of the paper, without going over the edges. 2. Cut the paper into quarters. 3. Swap the diagonal quarters and tape together 4. Fill up the middle of the tile with pattern, again, don't go off the edges. 5. Voila

I took it a step further and scanned my tile onto the computer and used GIMP to tile it.

It's not great, you can still see the edges of the paper and it doesn't perfectly line up, but I'm pretty happy with it for a first attempt.

I really enjoyed that, it was the first arty thing that I did purely for fun, and not for h/w, in a really long time. I felt so rebellious drawing from my head, and not from first hand observation, and not having to show any 'developement' and not do several different drawings just to prove that I have considered alternatives and all that jazz.

Orangie x


No comments:

Post a Comment